27 January 2014

My Top 10 Chinese New Year Foods

Below are the top 10 Chinese new year foods which i eat only during the CNY. Note that some are not necessary only available in the festive and most of them are really part of my childhood memory. So lets see: 

(10) Beehive Biscuit or my grandmom call it 黄蜂斗 in cantonese. This is one of the many delicacies we make together :)
(9) Also from my grandmom's kitchen,  the Fried Rice Cake a.k.a. Za Nian Kao is a symbol of getting better and better throughout the year

(8) My childhood favourite drink during the reunion dinner. :P 


(7) Kuih Kapit. We do our own every year. I started with serving drinks/foods for the aunties and the progress to folding and lastly, sit in front of 6 moulds to bake this myself. The last challenge will be mixing the ingredients myself. If you want to see more, follow me on Instagram with ID = maxmax5ig

 
(6) My mom will give me and my siblings one box each for every new year wishing each of us have a prosperous year ahead... :)  
(5) Why i like this? Because every 2nd day of the CNY, all my relatives will be visiting our open house and this is the most popular drink and thus eventually it become our memory of together, laughters and joyous. 

(4) I guess no kids do not like this !!!  I particularly LOVE the black current flavour. This is probably my 1st sweet and sour experience. What is your fav colour ?

(3) Im so particular to this Peanut Biscuit to the extend that i only eat it from 2 lovely ladies on earth. My mom and her sister. Their secret recipe is to have a medium grounded peanut (for texture) and add coarse salt on top of most of the common ingredients to improve the flavour contrast. It works for me everyt ime!! 1 box = 2 hours the longest :P   

(2) My mom knows i like this so she will always prepare this in the basket where she uses it to serve the guesses. But i think not many likes it but only me :P so you know why i like ... 

(1) I think this is the MUST HAVE in every chinese house during CNY. I especially like the one from LongKee, the type made with shredded chicken meat.

Actually i need very less time to come out this list because these are the Top 10 CNY Foods i can just think of when i've set the title. These foods definitely brings out a lot of my memory starting from i was just a little boy. Foods that i grew up with. What about your top CNY foods ?   Mind to share ?   

No comments:

Post a Comment