21 January 2014

How it all started

As far as i can remember: I was accompanying my mom to the neighbourhood wet market as part of weekly routine when i was in primary school (cant remember exactly in which standard). Logically i think i was still in between standard 1-3, afternoon session, because the market opens only until before lunch. 

The memory still vivid and it does not change much even until today, some 23 years later. The slaughtered chicken and pork with some blood still running in the drain below the stall. The stinky seafood area with some beheaded big fish, showing the freshness of the catch. The leafy smell of the vegetable area displaying tons of colourful natural creations: purple, red, white, brown, beige, orange, pink and of cause green. Last but not least the most horrible of them all, the goat's head and its separated body on the mutton stall where i must hold my breath every time we past by. 

It is also that every time after the buying where me and my mom will have our breakfast on the hawker stall just right beside the wet market. The Loh Cham Th'ng and Bi Koh Moi was my all time favourite. If so happened i cant make it to the market, mom will also tapao (take away) these goodness back for me as brunch or lunch. 

And maybe because of that, i will just feel like standing beside the wok most of the time when mom is cooking. What ingredient to match with what kind of flavouring...etc. As i grow, i will just stand beside hawker's stall after i ordered food to see how they cook, especially in Chu Char Stall (because those time most of them got open kitchen :P). 

And so because of a lot of life experiences later on, my interest on food/cooking has been fully developed. And so it's all started from within me, to cook food that i myself very much, to share it with those i care, to eat food that is tasty and to criticise food that is not properly cooked. And so this blog begins....  

No comments:

Post a Comment